Author Archives: rodney_hurst
Young people sat down at White lunch counters here in Jacksonville and all over the South during the Civil Rights Movement to protest White America’s Racism and White America’s inhumanity to its Black Citizens. We did not sit down to eat a hot dog and drink a coke but rather we used White lunch counters, as visible vestiges of Racism in its most insulting manner, to dramatize our opposition to Racism. Angry White Jacksonville responded in the store as we sat by hurling vicious but usual epithets from Niggers to Jungle Bunnies to Nigras to Coon to Sambo to Niggers Ain’t Acting like Colored People—their new definition for NAACP—and their favorite … GO BACK TO AFRICA. The VIOLENCE would come later.
COLIN KAEPERNECK DECIDED TO TAKE A STAND AGAINST AMERICAN INJUSTICE AND ITS RACISM just as John Carlos, Tommie Smith, and Muhammad Ali did and he is being castigated by White America just as John Carlos, Tommie Smith, and Muhammad Ali were. All of a sudden instead of being a Sunday NFL hero to “entertain” White America and in the “liberal” state of California, he is now “just an ungrateful nigger”… an “African coon”… “he should be appreciative of this opportunity to make money”… “he should go back to Africa” … and his jerseys are burned in effigy. Even Gabby Douglas…after she had represented the United States and represented the United States well, but because she forgot to put her hand over her heart while receiving her gold medal as they played the Star Spangled Banner, White America went bonkers as if she was unpatriotic–whatever in the Hell that means– yet did not open their mouths when White athletes still not stand still or put their hands over their hearts when the played the Star Spangled Banner and they received their gold medals. Different circumstance but still an instance of White Racism on parade. It was James Baldwin who said, “I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.” White America thinks that Black America should be ever grateful to White America for allowing us to live here. It is the never-ending White proposition that Blacks are to be seen and entertain and never have an opinion and never ever speak your mind about White Racism and the genocide perpetrated by White America on Black America…and that includes the almost daily shootings and killings by the Occupation troops in the Black community called The Police.
This is the same White America that instituted Slavery.
This is the same White America that seceded from the United States of America to fight a war to maintain Slavery.
This is the same White America that after losing their Slavery War then instituted the Nadir of Race Relations, Jim Crow laws, and de jure segregation and de facto segregation.
This is the same White America that needed pressure to integrate the military.
This is the same White America that encouraged the creation of cowardly night riding thugs like the Ku Klux Klan, the Jayhawkers, the Black Horse Cavalry, the Knights of the White Camellia, the Constitutional Union Guards, the Pale Faces, and the White Brotherhood to foment violence on Black America.
This is the same White America that declared Separate was, in fact Equal.
This is the same White America that needed to pass a Civil Rights Bill and a Voting Rights Bill(s) to ensure rights of Black Americans which were already guaranteed in the Constitution.
This is the same White America that has used Race Hatred and Fear over the years to elect Presidents who support Race hatred and Fear.
This is the same White America that has conspired to make the two terms of a Black President as insignificant as possible and are visibly angry and upset they were not successful.
This is the same White America who does not have a clue that Black Lives Matter simply means Black Lives Matter Too!
This is the same White America who thinks the Black Lives Matter is a hate group.
This is the same White America who thinks all Black males are “naturally violent” and think Black males always entertain thoughts of raping White females.
This is the same White America who feels that every Black victim murdered by the police 'had it coming."
This is the same White America who sees the disparate brutality and violence against Black America by the Police as necessary to protect them, their property and America.
In other words, this is Racist White America being Racist White America yet Again; and for this, WE should be grateful?
ColinKaeperneck has my respect. He is not just another Black millionaire in the NFL who after seeing and reading about daily instances of Racism he just goes along to get along. HE decided to SHOW his dissatisfaction by not standing for the Star Spangled Banner. Even White America does not realize that even the Star Spangled Banner is not a patriotic song. It is about war AND the 3rd verse —there are 4 verses—of the Star Spangled Banner has to do with wholesale Racism. Most Americans do not know that. Whether Colin knew that or not is not important. What is important he knows White America has shown and continues to show its racism daily, and its disdain for Black America; and as if to make the point how much…they nominated The Racist Donald Trump to run for President.
Black America can see Racist White America embracing a vile Racist like Donald Trump. Black America can see and hear White America shouting and applauding and being encouraged by all of the scum and garbage spewed by Donald Trump. Black America can see the actions of the millions of RACISTS who support Donald Trump as THEIR potential Racist-in-Chief. Black America can hear the hatred dripping from the lips of Donald Trump. Black America sees the daily violence exacted on them for just being Black. You cannot close your eyes and your mind as if these police shootings and killings of Blacks by the police are not happening. Black America can see all of these things.
Colin Kaeperneck saw and can see all of these things too and decided to do something about them in HIS OWN WAY. That is how a movement begins. It begins with ONE PERSON. But if none of the Black Wimps in the NFL open their collective and individual mouths in support, Colin did, and for that I applaud him. Of course, the White media and the White sports media as willing and stupid and ignorant extensions of White America will simply ask over and over and over again…Aren’t You Black People Grateful?
Colin's answer is … my answer is …as is the answer from other Blacks …NO…AND I DON’T HAVE TO BE GRATEFUL!
The Struggle Continues. RLHSR.
1) American History which should tell a truthful story of thiscountry’s good and bad dishonestly embellishes ONLY the good about White historical figures and excludes everyone and everything else. W. E. B. Du Bois said, “One is astonished in the study of history at the recurrence of the idea that evil must be forgotten, distorted, skimmed over. We must not re¬member that Daniel Webster got drunk, but only that he was a splen¬did constitutional lawyer. We must forget that George Washington was a slave owner . . . and simply remember the things we regard as creditable and inspiring. The difficulty, of course, with this philosophy is that history loses its value as an incentive and example; it paints perfect man and noble nations, but it does not tell the truth.”
Black Americans are woefully unknown and excluded from American History. In the academicarena there is a saying, “If it is not written down, it did not happen,” and Black history is seldom written on the pages of American history.
2) White America refuses collectively to admit to their White Privilege. White Privilege is described as a level of collective advantage that comes with being seen as the norm in America, automatically conferred irrespective of wealth, gender or other factors and all based on a White skin color. It makes life smoother, but it’s something you would barely notice unless it were suddenly taken away — or unless it had never applied to you in the first place. Yet Black America see examples of White Privilege every day exemplified with the respect police gave a White murderer after killing 9 Black people in a church by taking him to a fast food restaurant to eat because he was hungry. Did the police feel sorry for him because he was trying to escape and did not have a chance to stop and eat? That is coupled with the number of Blacks killed by police for just "twitching" and Whites who are arrested by police even though they were armed with various weapons.
3) Racism is one of the residuals of the American Holocaust called Slavery. Slavery created racial segregation and institutionalized racism. Most dictionaries define “racism” as racial hatred based on the color of one’s skin. As Dick Gregory said, “White is not a color; it’s an attitude.” Some add that racism is racial prejudice plus the institutional and systemic power to dominate, exclude, discriminate against, or abuse targeted groups of people based on a designation of race. Racism is an insidious cultural disease. How flawed is a country that passes racist laws, creates discriminatory governmental policies, and develops unfathomable societal catego¬ries designed to keep that population in their place based on the Black color of their skin? Even with the celebrated election of a Black President less than 150 years after the end of slavery, a vast number of White Americans showed for all who would watch and listen that it was not a happy occasion for them. Black America can plainly see the ongoing disdain White America has had for a Black President for no other reason than the color of his skin. Forget his qualification and the content of his character. White America never gives a damn about qualifications and the content of character irrespective of what they try to say…it is just the color of one’s skin. Like I said, Black America does not trust White America.
4) It is said that when America gets a cold, Black America gets Pneumonia. Which stills goes back to how Blacks are treated on everything from health care to jobs to education to housing to police actions to community infrastructure to politics.
Don't you just love White political commentators giving their opinion about Donald Trump "regrets" and his new so-call outreach to "The African Americans" –his way of saying 'You People'–as if his regrets make a difference? The Press then "reports" on Donald Trump as if they think that WE think THE Racist CAN change his spots.
Donald Trump has insulted Blacks (and many others) during his entire campaign. You do not put the brakes on your core racist attitudes and think Blacks will buy your new BULLSHIT. We did not buy your old BULLSHIT. If White commentators want an opinion about Donald Trump and his "new appeal" to "The African Americans", why not ask The African Americans? NO matter the circumstance, when will White folks understand THEY are not experts on US and how WE think? Donald Trump is a through and through Racist and he cannot pivot or make a change from that.
The Struggle Continues. RLHSR.
Occasionally, I share great words and posts from friends on Facebook and from those in the media. This post comes from Chuck Hobbs, Tallahassee, Florida — Lawyer, Writer, Activist, Muckraker (his words). Chuck's writings are really something to write home about. I bet you will agree.
"Just read where Donald Trump posed the following question to "The African Americans" today: "What the Hell do you have to lose" (by voting for him).
Well, as one of "The African Americans," off the top of my head if I voted for Trump I stand to lose:
* My Self-Respect;
* My Black Card—and I do not mean American Express;
* Most, if not all, of my thousands of Black followers who read my articles and blogs and who would deduce that I have transmogrified from a proud Black man to a Fuck Nigga;
* My natural rhythm and ability to cut a two-step while balancing a bourbon in one hand and a Black n Mild in the other;
* My natural command of Ebonics;
* The daily communion with the ancestors whose spirits surround and support my every step;
* A place in Heaven for my dad, who may scream among the heavenly host: "that boy and namesake of mine done lost his got damn mind…" and get tossed out like Lucifer;
So nah, sorry Donald, but I will pass. Yes, I understand that Hillary Clinton has some deep flaws and has to answer for many issues with respect to Black people as I addressed assiduously while campaigning for Bernie Sanders earlier this year. But I sincerely believe that there are enough prominent and strong Black people advising Clinton now and later who will keep her in check with respect to what impacts various Black communities across America.
But Trump, like too many white Republicans and their Negro lackeys, irks the shit out of me when he seeks to tell Black people what WE should be concerned about politically. You and ya'll ain't Black, you have never walked in nann one of our shoes, and just now, there is some gump white dude named Rep Jack Kingston on CNN talking about how Trump is reaching out to "The African Americans," while simultaneously screaming that Clinton has never said "Blue Lives Matter." No, mufucka, it is #BlackLivesMatter, which implies "too," which for the intellectually dim witted means "also," which, then, implies that all lives matter, including the police. But Trump and his lackeys in a very pernicious way are convincing their fact deficient white supporters that Black folks want war with the police because to Trump et al, the best Black folks, which they believe are the minority, are 1. Docile 2. Dumb-Mute about racial injustices 3. Patriotic to the point of Jingoism despite living in a land that by law and custom has enslaved and mistreated us since 1619. Indeed, the election of a Black President did not ameliorate almost 400 years of racist bullshit by whites in power against Blacks, and what is worse is that Trump et al have done everything within their power to stymie Barack Obama's administration and question the very American citizenship of the man.
So to Hell with Donald Trump's appeal to "The African Americans." If he was as real as he claims, he would have delivered his pitch at the conventions for the Urban League, the NAACP, the National Bar Association, the National Medical Association or even better, the National Association of Black Journalists— all black advocacy groups. He has yet to deliver a speech at any one of over 100 HBCUs, schools that other candidates know are must stops to connect with Blacks in their vast alumni networks. Or if he is really about that Black vote life, he would have walked through the blighted neighborhoods or sat among Black folks living in squalor in housing projects and rural towns across America. But alas, he's not real, he is as fake as they come and a racist whose rhetoric cannot be mitigated through a fake ass apology and a half-hearted attempt to win Black voters."
Didn't I Tell You?
The Struggle Continues. RLHSR.
Based on the Eternal words of James Weldon Johnson's "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing"…
LIFT: Contemporary Expressions of the African American Experience presents area contemporary artists' responses to Jacksonville’s rich artistic African American heritage at the Cummer Museum and Art Gardens, with an emphasis on creating an artful platform to discuss issues around race, equity, and community.
As I continue to view LIFT—this great exhibit of talented and gifted artists—motivated by the words of one of Jacksonville’s great native sons, I cannot help but have flashbacks to what “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” means to me and its importance in the movement of civil rights in this country. I was ten years old when I enrolled in James Weldon Johnson Junior High school, which was one of two segregated Black junior high schools in Jacksonville. Upon entering the lobby of the school, you could not help but see a very striking and even imposing painting of James Weldon Johnson.
I learned about James Weldon Johnson during my West Jacksonville Elementary School years including, memorizing and singing “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” as a member of the school’s chorus. I would later transfer from James Weldon Johnson to Isaiah Blocker Junior High School, the other segregated Black junior high school in Jacksonville. My first day in my 8th grade American History class at Blocker, I was asked by Mr. Rutledge Pearson, the class instructor and later my mentor, to “tell the class something about James Weldon Johnson.” Little did I know at that time, but my first classroom expression about one of this country’s real giants would later lead to my joining the Jacksonville Youth Council NAACP and the start of my continuing journey of talking about Black History and Civil Rights History. We sang "Lift…at every NAACP Mass Meeting during the CivilRights Movement.
We also sang "Lift…at every meeting of the Jacksonville Youth Council NAACP. “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing” is a majestic hymn. After having the honor of speaking to a Jewish Temple, the Rabbi said to me and others in his congregation, "It is a song that speaks to me as a Jew, and to oppressed people everywhere."
I am honored that I was included as a representative of those to whom James Weldon Johnson's masterful lyrics resonated. My hat is off to you Hope McMath and to you Ingrid Damiani, and the other great artists who have infused this much needed and thought-provoking exhibit into the fibers of a Jacksonville community.
The Struggle Continues. RLHSR.
It is amazing to hear political pundits or whatever they are called these days opine about how Donald Trump has to pivot on his message to become a legitimate candidate for president. There is no pivoting on a message proclaiming your core racist attitudes. Donald trump is a legitimate candidate for president Now AND Donald Trump is a Racist Now. He did not just become a racist. He has millions of White supporters and voters who hang on his every word. For those who would counter that he has Black supporters understand his Black supporters —who you will usually find groveling at the FOX news trough—are totally insignificant and are strictly along for whatever the ride will pay them.
The White Media REFUSES to acknowledge Donald Trump's obvious racism. Every time he opens his mouth, slimy sputum soaked in hatred dribbles like a baby regurgitating. Racist ideology oozes through his lips in every sentence he tries to make. Does the media recognize racism or does the media rationalize racism as politics as usual? Since most of the decision makers in the media are White, do they compel themselves to "look the other way?" Is the media that afraid to tell the truth about racism? If they are, WHY are they afraid?
The Struggle Continues. RLHSR.